Saturday 13 December 2008

25th November 2008

Today’s the day it’s the 25th November 2008 and we're off.

When I say we I mean myself Laurence, then there is Grover who is a character from sesame street who I thought was actually called Georgina adk who is a girl and another character altogether again but my son assures me it’s called Grover and is male although there is no way of checking, trust me I’ve looked.

Then there is the black pig which is a 2005 Volkswagen transporter t30 tdi lwb.
Depart Dover 8am, weather in the channel is ok but in France and Belgium it rained heavily all day with gusto.

I was going to stay locally to visit Tyne cot Langemark [the German cemetery] and Ypres which I did but had to change clothes twice due to torrential rain.
When you arrive at these cemetery's you are suddenly aware of the enormity of the carnage of ww1. I am well read on the subject but it still did not prepare me for the mental and physical anguish your body has to go through on observing the row upon row of pristine white crosses unfolding in to the distance.

All I felt able to do was to stand in the pouring rain and cry quietly, it is all you can do. It is the only answer to the men lying there. It is the only sincere thing you can offer the soldiers is you’re tears and through your tears you’re respect. Words alone are not enough.

The same applies to Langemark.

Drove on Charleroi and stayed there overnight in a hotel needing to get things dry and the wet and cold from my bones.

There may be those of you who will have noticed that this is all in capital letters and apparently this is called shouting. Well that may be, but in the back of a van in failing light and sat cross legged like buddah, is not very comfortable, causes too many errors, and is stressful - I will apologise but point out its my laptop, my blog so there!

(added by Elly - I've edited this so it's NOT ALL SHOUTING!!)


Grovers new job - telling Dad to drive on the right!

No comments: